[ExchangeList] Re: Exchange 2007 Memory Management

  • From: James Chong <jchong@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "exchangelist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <exchangelist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 1 Apr 2008 09:46:12 -0400

That is by design; Exchange will populate it’s store cache as messages are processes.

Cold state operation   Cold state is defined as the state of the Mailbox server immediately following a server restart or a restart of the Microsoft Exchange Information Store service. The database cache, which is used to cache read/write operations, is small in size (cold) during this period, so it has a significantly diminished ability to reduce read I/O operations. As the Mailbox server processes messages, the database cache size grows, increasing the effectiveness of the cache and subsequently reducing disk I/O on the server. The more physical memory in the server, the longer it takes the database cache to reach its optimal size. If the storage solution is designed and sized for a server with a large amount of physical RAM (greater than 32 GB), and the disk I/O profile of the users assumes an optimal database cache state (for example, a large, warm cache), the client experience may be compromised due to insufficient disk performance during the cold state periods. Similar to the issue of non-transactional I/O, the storage requirements may be the same for a server with 32 GB of memory as a server with more than 32 GB of RAM. On a properly configured Mailbox server, it should take about 15 minutes to reach the optimal cache state after a cold operation has occurred.

 Make sure you have properly designed your memory specs

2GB + 2-5mb per user

Deploying a Simple Exchange Server 2007 Organization

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=B7BAD09F-6952-4E54-B482-9FCD30D6C245&displaylang=en

Number of storage groups

Minimum required physical RAM

1-4