Exchange 2003 upgrade...

  • From: Chris Wall <Chris.Wall@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "'[ExchangeList]'" <exchangelist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 29 Nov 2004 14:27:21 -0500

Hello all,

   We have recently upgraded our NT 4 domain to 2003 AD and now it is time
to upgrade Exchange 5.5...

   I am reading many deployment guides, white papers, etc.  As such, I would
like to install an Exchange 2003 Front End server as an initial step.  This
would accomplish two things for me.

1.      It would extend the schema prior to sending out other DC's to remote
locations.  This will ease the burden of initial replication of the new DC's

2.      Have this server in place along with our existing 5.5 organization
for when we do begin migrating mailboxes in about a month.

Is this a step that you would do a month in advance of migrating Public
Folders and Mailboxes?

Will having this FE server interrupt any current 5.5 operations?

Will I have to create an ADC from the FE server to my Exchange 5.5 servers?

Basically, I would not publish the MX record until we are ready to begin
migrating Mailboxes to Back End servers to ensure the new FE server is not
used.

Thanks for your replies.

Regards,

Chris Wall