Exchange 2003 public folders: how to support unchecking of "Maintain per-user read"

  • From: "Ian Wells" <ian.wells@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <exchangelist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 14 May 2004 08:54:58 -0600

 I want several people to be able to  monitor, edit and reply for
inbound email to a single company email address.   I want each person to
see what the other people have read and replied to. But I can't get this
to work using Exchange2003 public folders. What am I doing wrong?

Here's what I did:

In Exchange 2003, I created a public folder to receive email from
outside our company.

First, I installed  Microsoft's hotfix to convert incoming email to
IPM.note instead of IPM.post. Works fine.
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=817809

Then I unchecked  the  option
"Maintain per-user read and unread for this folder"

Now I can send email and it arrives in the public folder as IPM.note,
just fine. But when I open a message from Outlook2003, the message
summary remains in bold - I cannot "mark as read" any message.

( if I click on "Maintain per-user read and unread for this folder",
then the "Mark as read" does work, but just for me)

What do I need to do to get the unchecking of "Maintain per-user read
and unread for this folder" to work?

My alternative is to set up a policy for each person to set the
"Followup" for each message.

Ian Wells ian.wells@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

PS
Also, it would be nice if the little subject line icon to change when
anyone replies to a message. Is there anyway to implement that?

Ian Wells  ian.wells@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx  1-800-685-4565
ExperiencePlus! Walking and Bicycling Tours

www.experienceplus.com <http://www.experienceplus.com/>
to sign up for our monthly newsletter, email
subscribe@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx <mailto:subscribe@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>