Re: Exchange 2003 & POP3 Connector Question

  • From: Danny <nocmonkey@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "[ExchangeList]" <exchangelist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 2 Dec 2004 15:53:51 -0500

On Thu, 2 Dec 2004 15:06:41 -0500, Keith Duemling <kduemling@xxxxxxx> wrote:
> http://www.MSExchange.org/
>
> I have a quick question I would appreciate some feedback on.  Thanks in
> advance.
>
> Environment:
>
> Windows 2003 AD Domain
> Exchange 2003 Ent SP1 +hotfixes on Windows 2003 Server (not DC)
> Native POP3 Connector (third party product) - Trial Version
> Outlook 2003 Clients on XP Pro SP2 systems.
> Cable modem with a Netgear SOHO class router/firewall w/ NAT
> Test POP3 accounts at our ISP.
>
> Situation:
> Native POP3 is set to connect to each POP3 mailbox at a regular interval.
> Email account contains mail from various sources, including email lists such
> as this.  Native POP3 connects to the ISP, authenticates, and pulls down
> email, but only email explicitly addressed to each user appears to be
> delivered.  If it is FROM emailaddress@xxxxxxxxxxxxx TO
> emailaddress@xxxxxxxxxxxxx the email is removed from the original POP3
> server.  No errors appear in the Native POP3 client, or the Windows Event
> Log.  POP3 email was pulled down individually by Outlook 2003 clients without
> problems to rule out the ISP as the primary focus.
>
> I've put in a support request to the company that produces Native POP3
> connector and am awaiting feedback.  Has anyone experienced issues similar
> with this connector or other POP3 connector products?  Is there anything in
> Exchange 2003 that I should look at to troubleshoot this.  Native POP3 maps
> each POP account to a specific Exchange mailbox and does not "appear" to have
> any type of content filtering rules.

Do let us know what the Native POP3 vendors response is.

In the meantime, we can speculate and offer alternatives.

1) Could be a bug in the Native POP3 software.
2) You could have each user download their email from your ISP to
their Exchange mailbox.
3) You could have your ISP relay email destined for your domain to
your Exchange server through SMTP. Thus, eliminating POP3.
4) Procure a different POP3 downloader, like GFI's.

In summary, I would recommend eliminating the use of POP3. If you want
assistance doing this, you can contact me off-list if you wish.

...D