RE: Exchange 2003 Cached Mode on the LAN

  • From: Chris Wall <Chris.Wall@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "'[ExchangeList]'" <exchangelist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 2 Mar 2005 09:51:00 -0500

In planning the OAB has been our organizations biggest concern.  We have
ADC's with external 'sister' companies to synchronize our address books.
This has caused issues in that the OAB does not download frequently enough
to end user Outlook Profiles.  To overcome this I have been toying with:

1.  using AD 'group policy' API's to force outlook to use online address
book instead of the cached (offline) address book.

Or

2. use Microsoft ADM's to increase the frequency of outlook Address book
updates when using Cached mode.  This does increase the # of RPC's but it is
still much lower than a normal client not running in Exchange Cached Mode.

You may want to play around with these options in a lab and see which will
work best for your organization.

Regards,

Chris Wall