Exchange 2000 hardware upgrade

  • From: "roy foster" <rfoster@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: exchangelist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 18 Oct 2005 22:01:34 -0600

We are currently in the process of planning the migration of our MS
Exchange 2000 server to new hardware.  I have looked endlessly on the
Internet for articles related to this topic and have yet to find any good
advice.  Our current MS Exchange server is also a domain controller.
Does anyone know of a good article or resource which outlines the process
for this migration?  Based on the information and testing we have
performed so far, simply loading Windows 2000 server, restoring active
directory, reloading Exchange 2000 with the disaster recovery switches and
then restoring the databases works great until you introduce new hardware.
At that point your new system freezes upon bootup when the backup
information is restored from the old server. This appears to be due to an
incompatible video bus.  Does anyone have any suggestions.

Thanks for your assistance.