RE: Exchange 2000 Offline Backups

  • From: "William T. Holmes" <wtholmes@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "[ExchangeList]" <exchangelist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 16 Dec 2002 21:22:14 -0500

Hello,

You don't need to do an offline backup to restore to an offline server.
In fact offline backups are not recommended by Microsoft for a number of
reasons most of which have to do with logfile and database consistency.
There are ocassional reasons for doing offline backups however the
Exchange backup APIs allow for a complete online backup.

Building an offline exchange server does require several steps to be
acomplished but once complete you can restore a database to the offline
server from files created during a regular exchange backup using the
Backup Exec or the builtin Windows 2000 backup utility.

If you are interested in building an offline exchange server I would
check out and article by Joseph Neubauer called Buld and Offline
Exchange 2000 server in 9 steps. It was published in the Sept 2001 issue
of Exchange & Outlook Administrator.  This should be available online at
http://www.exchangeadmin.com/. It is instant doc #21801. You may have to
subscribe to browse the article, or I think you can buy it.

At any rate you do not need to do an offline backup to use and offline
exchange server for restoring.

Bill