Exchange 2000 ASP setup whitepaper(s)

  • From: Joseph Logrippo <jlogrippo@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "[ExchangeList]" <exchangelist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 6 Jan 2004 12:58:43 -0800

Hello Exchange List,

        I was wondering if anyone could share any links that have more
detailed setup information than what is provided on Microsoft's website to
setup Exchange as a ASP Application Service Provider).

I was asked to implement this as a beta test for a customer which I have but
I am still having difficulties with the POP3 service authenticating users (I
emailed this list yesterday about this) at certain times in the day. I have
diagnostic logging and the only item that comes up when he authentication
error happens is the following:

Authentication attempt from ip x.x.x.x to username@xxxxxxxxxx has failed
with error 0x52e.
Authentication attempt from ip x.x.x.x to username@xxxxxxxxxx has failed
with error 0x2afc.
Authentication attempt from ip x.x.x.x to username@xxxxxxxxxx has failed
with error 0x2af9.

I am getting different error code numbers for each pop user as listed above.

Every error is event id 1011

I just found this article
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=%2Fservicedesks%2Fbin%2Fkbsea
rch.asp%3FArticle%3D296387 so I hope this works

This lasted for about 15min.

I also added the default master domain name under the properties for the pop
virtual server on the frontend server. This may fix the problem what the
above article states.

The server setup is the following:

Frontend server: Windows 2000 AS w/ exchange 2000 enterprise. 700megs RAM,
PIII550mhz (we are going to be upgrading this server very soon) Memory is
fine and CPU has not gone over 6% (Using MRTG to graph this)
POP AND SMTP are running on the frontend server.

Backend server: Windows 2000 AS w/ exchange 2000 enterprise. 2gigs memory
dual 2.4ghz processors.
Backend is running OWA as well. There are no issues with authenticating
through OWA at all.

AD server has dns running on it as well.

AD DNS records for the each domain's MX record and OWA are pointing to the
backend server where the mailboxes are or should the AD DNS MX point to the
frontend?

I had to set it up this way with what available hardware I had at the time.

I hope

Thanks in advance
Joe