RE: Exchange 2000

  • From: "John Tolmachoff \(Lists\)" <johnlist@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "'[ExchangeList]'" <exchangelist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 28 Jun 2003 17:45:15 -0700

> Isn't this peer support??

I think the point is that if someone has no knowledge at all of a server
product like Exchange or SQL or ISA or SMS or Commerce Server or such that
they should not try to jump in and work on it.

Yes, we can all do what we can to help, but there is no foundation to his
knowledge. At the very least, he needs to go out and by a "Dummy" book to at
least get the basic understanding.

2 years ago I knew nothing about Exchange. Then a client of ours (now mine)
had an Exchange server installed in Toronto and we were going to be
providing support to that location remotely. I took the imitative and went
and got a book on Exchange and read it through to get a basic understanding.
Then, the first couple of problems that cropped up, I turned to an Exchange
expert and paid him to help me through them until I gained more
understanding. There was no way I was going to attempt to work on a client
Exchange server on my own without at least a basic understanding.

By the wording of Dustin's post, it appears that he is saying he has no
knowledge of Exchange.

Just be the fact that he already installed it means that it is not right, as
you have some preparations before installing to do.

FWIW, I do think the first response to Dustin's post was a little harsh.
Like some one else said, he should have directed him to basic resources and
told him to start reading, not have some one else just do it for you.

John Tolmachoff MCSE CSSA
Engineer/Consultant
eServices For You
www.eservicesforyou.com