RE: Exch2k SP3 broke my server!

  • From: "david" <apba08@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "'[ExchangeList]'" <exchangelist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 7 Mar 2003 20:25:58 -0000

Chris,

I don't know whether or not my experience will help. I work at two
schools one running NT4 Server and Exchange Server 5.5 with one back-up
system, the other running two, Win 2K servers Exchange Server 2K and
both backing up.

I have found back up to be unreliable at both locations and all servers,
in that sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't - seemingly at
random.

What I have found is that if the back-up batch files are not perfectly
correct then back-up will not close down. Other mistakes that have the
same effect are forgetting to put a tape in the drive before the back-up
is scheduled or (and haven't we all done it:-)) forgetting to set the
tab on the tape to "unlocked"!  Any subsequent scheduled back-ups
obviously won't run either. Looking at task manger it is clear to see
that back up is still running. What's more is that it won't close using
the normal "end task" process. In fact, the only way I can get it to
close is to re-boot the server!

Another example of the type of problem that leaves back-up open is that
I had the closing inverted commas on the wrong side of the \ in a path I
wanted to back up.

So use task manager to see if back-up is running all the time.

Regards

ADvid S.