RE: Ex 2K Standard Edition Database Maintenance (16GB Limit)

  • From: <ChongJa@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <exchangelist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 20 Dec 2005 15:04:11 -0500

Yes, just remount it and you can remove the mapped drive. Always make sure you
have a good backup before, and it's recommended that you perform a backup after
you defrag because it will change the signature on the DB so you will not be
able to restore data from previous logs.

________________________________

From: <ChongJa@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: "[ExchangeList]" <exchangelist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Limit)
Date: Tue, 20 Dec 2005 13:53:42 -0500

http://www.MSExchange.org/

        Yes only for 2003 edition. Exchange 2000 post sp3 roll up will give you
an addition 1GB. To access this, follow instructions on site.

        http://www.alibutt.com/

        To defrag it's straight forward, you have to dismount your store so it
will take your users offline. If you have 12 I would say it would prob complete
within an hour and a half.
        Heres an example. Since you said you had no disk space to defrag
locally. Map a drive to a file server. In the example below it's assuming you
have a database on E:\exchsrvr\mail store 3\mdbdata\mail store 3.edb. It's
assuming that your mapped drive is T:

        1.        Log into your Ex server.

        2.        Open Exchange System Manager by going to Start à Programs à
Microsoft Exchange à System  Manager

        3.        Expand Administrative Groups à à Servers à # Storage Group à
Mailbox Store #

        4.        Right click Mailbox Store # and click Dismount Store

        5.        Open command prompt and go to \program files\exchsrvr\bin

        6.        Type eseutil /d /database /e drive:\eseutil. For example: To
defrag Mail Store 3 type: eseutil /d "E:\EXCHSRVR\Mail Store 3\MDBDATA\mail
store 3.edb" /t e:\eseutil

________________________________

                From:  <ChongJa@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
                To:  "[ExchangeList]" <exchangelist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
                Subject:  [exchangelist] RE: Ex 2K Standard Edition Database
Maintenance (16GB Limit)
                Date:  Tue, 20 Dec 2005 12:49:42 -0500
                >http://www.MSExchange.org/
                >
                >Exchange maintanence does not reclaim white space. Only an
offline
                >defrag can do this. You will need 110% of free space to
defrag, although
                >I've seen it use a lot less, prob depends on how fragmented it
is. If
                >disk space is an issue you can map a drive and point the temp
DB to it.
                >I've done this on 2k3 several times with no problem. Not sure
about 2k.
                >You can check how much white space you can reclaim from an
offline
                >defrag by checking the event log for 1221. You can also
upgrade to
                >service pack 2 which will give you up to 75GB limit for your
DB. Hope
                >this helps.

Maintenance