RE: Dual or Quad for 4000 users

  • From: "Ion Gott" <Ion.Gott@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "[ExchangeList]" <exchangelist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "[ExchangeList]" <exchangelist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 6 Mar 2006 20:40:49 -0800

I would probably build a 3 node cluster (Active, Active, Passive) and place two
thousand users on each active dual  processor system and leave a passive system
for failover. That way all eggs wouldn't be in one basket.

The real issue is I/O and how busy and how heavily used mail is in the
environment.

Are clients primarily connecting through Outlook 2003 full mapi clients or OWA?

What is the average size of the users mailboxes, will quotas be used?

Is the server going to use local storage or a SAN?

Ion