RE: Detecting Unopened mail

  • From: "Stelley, Douglas" <dstelley@xxxxxxx>
  • To: "[ExchangeList]" <exchangelist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 19 Aug 2005 08:58:12 -0400

I don't think I can attach files to this list, and they are too long to
simply copy/paste, but I can send them to interested folks.

I won't claim to have invented all the code that makes them run, I just
cobbled a bunch of ideas together but what happens is this:
    Whenever a user logs onto or off the domain, They run a vbs script
which logs pertinant info to an Access .mdb
        This gives me a running log of where and when all users log
on/off
    Every 15 minutes, Exchange runs a vbs script that logs mail usage
data to an Access .mdb
        This provides statistical data on users mail usage going back to
when the vbs was first run. So the longer it is in place, the more
relevent the data.

Different people use different parts for different reasons.

    I wrote a vbs script which pulls each user from Active Directory
(Using LDAP filters I customise depending on need), queries each above
.mdb and writes an Excel spreadsheet so managers can see usage data on
their depts.

    I wote an ASP so that our helpdesk can quickly pull needed stats
when a user calls (they can see where the person is logged in, when they
last used mail, PC stats, whatever) they use this info constantly for
different tasks

    I wish I knew/remembered who wrote a series of ASP pages for
exchange, but they give a nice graphical view of your users usage,
including most recent activity, outlook version, OWA etc.

lets see what else, oh yeah,
The reason I dont use LastLogonTimeStamp is it isn't up to date enough
for our help desk, I'm not sure what the replication is, but we needed
Live/ right now stats for troubleshooting, hence the logon scripts.

I'm willing to share with those interested, but be warned you'll have to
customise it for your your own needs. I tried to make it to work
generically, but there were places I had to hard code things. You'l have
to go through it all to see if any of it is usefull
Doug