Demoting Win2000 server with Exchange 2000

  • From: "Vadim Shulaev" <vadim@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: exchangelist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 18 Jul 2003 11:34:36 -0600

I have been thinking about it for a while now...
I have Exchange 2000 sp3 running on 2K server which is also DC2 in the
domain. It is not a GC or anything, just a secondary DC in the domain.
I installed DC on the server first and then Exchange software.
Everything seems to running good, except i have some replication issues
with GC DC. Someone previously made both of the DC's GC and AD was getting
confused, but i made the chages back as you can have only one GC server
per domain.

Now i am having all kinds of "strange" issues with replication and i was
wondering if i can demote this server to memeber server, remove AD from it
and later on proote it back to DC. This should cleanup my connections and
regenerate them again.

If i do demote this server which has Exch2000 on it, will the mail server
sill work without DC on it??? Have anyone done this before???

Vadim.