Dealing with Klez noticies

  • From: "Darien Allen" <drallen@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "[ExchangeList]" <exchangelist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 22 Aug 2002 10:02:48 -0400

I've had an influx of a few users who are receiving administrative
notices from other servers that the emails they are sending out are
infected with Klez. As you know Klez works by attaching to the "To"
portion of the email ANY email address it finds in the addressbook of
the infected user. So that it looks like it's coming from a different
person that the one whose really infected. I've told my users that there
systems are clean (I've run 2 different Klez detection utilities to
confirm this) and that there unfortunately isn't anything I can do as
the infected person could be anyone who has ever sent them an email
address. Am I correct in this regard?

Darien Allen
Center for Poverty Solutions

---