RE: DNS Reverse Lookup + Drop connection

  • From: "Militello, John" <jmilitello@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "[ExchangeList]" <exchangelist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 5 Feb 2004 15:55:25 -0500

Last month AOL decided it would accept our messages but drop the mail
into quarantine. I called them and they notified me that I had to have
PTR records for my servers. This must be a recent change because we
where able to pass mail to them up until a month ago. Another name for
the records are "in-addr.arpa delegation" or "reverse" IP resolution...
going from the IP address back to a hostname. Another note is that it
actually does the lookup backwards using the last octet first then the
second and so forth.

John Militello
Wilmorite Property Management, LLC
Ciber Inc.