DAT Files

  • From: Chris Wall <Chris.Wall@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "'Exchange Group on Yahoo (MS_Exchange@xxxxxxxxxxx)'" <MS_Exchange@xxxxxxxxxxx>, "'ExchangeList (exchangelist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx)'" <exchangelist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 14 Jan 2003 11:02:10 -0500

Hello all,

   Our organization is blocking all DAT files from entering our organization
due to Virus' exploiting this file type.  The problem is that our co-workers
in Europe are triggering the filter (the only ones reporting this issue, for
both internal and external e-mail users).  When I have them send to an
external e-mail address so that I can see what may be triggering the filter,
I find no .DAT files.  The filter is configured to block only .DAT
attachments and not 'DAT' in the body text.  I can find no .DAT files, or
any text with the letters 'dat' that may be causing the filter to block
their e-mail.

    What should I look for since there are no attachments?  Could a
signature in exchange, or some other setting be placing a .DAT file in their
e-mails?  Any assistance would be much appreciated.

Thanks,

        Chris Wall
        Microsoft Exchange Admin / Sr. Technical Analyst

        9000 Regency Parkway
        4th floor
        Cary, NC  27511
        Tel. +1 919.460.3236