Re: Create an SMTP gateway

  • From: Danny <nocmonkey@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "[ExchangeList]" <exchangelist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 2 Feb 2005 13:59:44 -0500

On Tue, 1 Feb 2005 15:34:07 -0700, Dan Vanden Bosch
<dvandenbosch@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> http://www.MSExchange.org/
>
> Our organization has one Exchange 2000 Server. I'd like to set up an SMTP
> gateway for this Exchange server to help take the load off of it.
>
> I'm looking for sizing recommendations on the SMTP gateway, and I'm
> looking for a step-by-step cookbook on how to configure the SMTP server
> and the Exchange server.

I recommend the following for MTA gateway duties based on the SMTP protocol:

MTA: Postfix (www.postfix.org)
OS: FreeBSD (www.freebsd.org or www.openbsd.org)
Log analyzer: http://jimsun.linxnet.com/downloads/pflogsumm-faq.txt
Hardware: Pentium 100 or greater 64MB of RAM, at least 2GB of free
space, could EASILY handle your loads.

The ultimate SMTP gateway, in my mind. Did I mention it was all "free".

Let me know if you are considering this configuration, and I can offer
some tips.

...D