RE: Create an SMTP gateway

  • From: "Dan Vanden Bosch" <dvandenbosch@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: exchangelist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 2 Feb 2005 08:36:18 -0700

Our Exchange server processes about 7,000 messages per weekday. I'm
guessing about 4,000 of those are incoming from the outside world, and I'm
guessing about 1,000 go from the inside to the outside world.

I'm hoping to not have buy another Exchange license. I was hoping I could
simply throw in a box running Windows 2000 or 2003 Server with SMTP
service and add it as a relay for the Exchange box. On the firewall, I'd
change the smtp port to forward to the new server instead of the Exchange
server. I'd also make the new box the local bridgehead on the Exchange
Server's Internet Mail connector. Would that be a solution?