RE: Could somebody help me check this out to be spam

  • From: Raj baby <braj@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: [ExchangeList] <exchangelist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 18 Oct 2003 10:59:12 +0200

Hi Mitch,

Thanks for the terrific explanation.

I tried it  and i have 2 questions .

1) When i do an nslookup on 202.142.75.26 it says a "Non Existant " domain.
The same thing happens when i do it on emrg-global.com.You already said that
for you,it resolved ,but donot reverse lookup.

2)Network solution's "whois" command on emrg-global shows it as  "This name is
available
 for registration.Also trying with Apnic.net who is serach gives me
*** "No records found for 'emrg-global.com'

Why is this differance when we both try it  ( only differance seems to be that
we are trying from two parts of the world!)

Thanks & regards
Raj

> AD: Get Thawte?s New Step-by-Step SSL Guide for MSIIS:
> http://www.msexchange.org.org/thawte/
> Edits below, in  context.
>
> What I found looking at the headers are explained below. Good luck on
> your spam hunting.
>
> Thank you,
> Mitchell D. Lawrence
> **<Good|Cheap|Fast> (Pick Two)**
>
> I presume this is not a spam
>  ( possibly because this is from a job consultant)
>
> Mitch: Actually, it appears to be spam to me...
>
> 2)How the message IDs are shown like xxxxxxxxxx.javamail.server@server>
>
> Mitch: This appears to have been sent using an application of some sort,
> possibly java based, maybe a web application.
>
> ( Normally message IDs are like someone@xxxxxxxxxxxxx it
> purposefully***done ????)
>
> 3) Also if i do an nslookup on 202.71.152.134 it shows a non-existant
> domain
>
> Mitch: Rather than do an nslookup of something, I often go over to
> ARIN.NET and look up the IP itself. Tells you a lot more.
>

> 4) A "whois" command on emrg-global shows it as  "This name is available
> for registration."
>
> 5) The To: address at the bottom shows a differant name also.
> Can any one help me understand this ??
>
> Mitch: I will give it a shot.

> ****
> Header
> ****
> 2003 23:06:07 -0700

> by mta234.mail.scd.yahoo.com with SMTP; Thu, 09 Oct 2003 23:06:05 -0700

> (Merak 6.0.5) with ASMTP id 617F7F9D; Fri, 10 Oct 2003 11:35:35 +0530

> ****
> Analysis
> ****
> Mitch: I hate how they always do this, this is one of the signs of spam.
> Send the message from the FUTURE! This tells you the path the message
> took to get to you. In reverse order. So the last received: line is
> usually the source one. Unless the spammer is smart and includes some
> forged Received: headers. In this case, the message originated from
> ermg-global.com (presumeably 202.142.75.26, which does not reverse
> lookup with nslookup, but an nslookup of ermg-global.com on my machine
> comes back with 202.71.152.134, which does not reverse lookup.)

> ****
> Header
> ****

> ****
> Analysis
> ****
> Mitch: This is generated by the mail server the sender had his message
> go through first. Look like a homemade job to me (the @server) and not
> something professional.

> ****
> Header
> ****

> ****
> Analysis
> ****
> Mitch: Somewhere along the line, it went through a virus scan.

> ****
> [...]

Do You need a professional and afordable web hosting service?
Try  HostEcom.com  NOW

* This email account is a FREE 20MB email box from DirNow.com
Please report any abuse to postmaster@xxxxxxxxxx