Re: Communication between Outlook <-> Exchange 2000, Which ports to open i firewall ?

  • From: "Christian Kurmann" <ckurmann@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: "[ExchangeList]" <exchangelist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 23 Jan 2002 14:36:21 +0100

Hi jesper

I have found that while the answer below is correct, you can only get
Outlook Internet email features from the exchange server with those open
ports.
My experience is that if you want to have calendar and tasks from the
Exchange mailbox instead of from the local PST file, you need to open
all ports between 3000 and 4000...
(this isn't very definite, as I never found any specifications but am
going merely on the report my firewall gave me of what it was blocking.)
As I find having Calendar and tasks Central is one of the big reasons
for having an exchange server, I saw no other solution then to connect
my clients through the firewall via a VPN connection. This way the I
only need to open the VPN port, and can even block Internet mail for the
internal users. Outlook will then function fully, although somewhat
slower due to the VPN overhead.

Christian