RE: Change Service Account

  • From: "Vadim Shulaev" <vshulaev@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "[ExchangeList]" <exchangelist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 26 Jul 2003 10:52:56 -0700

I agree with John on that. Always use create account for services youre going
to run.

However, ther is 2 fixes to your problem and i tryed both of them.
1. Go to Microsoft Exchange 5.5 support and surch for "changing service account
on Exchange 55", i think it is a "How-to" document. It is very good of
explaining how to do this task. I would of give you my doc, but i don't run e55
anymore, so i give it away.

Note: Beware of the problems you re going to have with this new account!!!
Although it looks good on Microsoft papers, you will incounter problems after
you change it to new  account. One of them would be POP3/SMTP functionality.
After you change the service account and everything seems to work correctly,
try POPing email, you'll knowtice it is not working. This solution would work
well if you don't plan to use POP3 service on your server.

2.  Second option is to Reload E55 as new installation using new created
service account!!! It sounds like a big pain, but it is not as bad as it
sounds. Actualy it works fasted then the time you spend figuring out why your
Exchange is not functioning correctly...

Suggestion: If you planing to upgrade to Win2K server environment soon, and
hardware on this server compatible with Win2K, you may want to think of putting
W2k Server on it when you reload new E55. Yes, E55 works great on W2k server. I
had it done, no problems at all!

Anyways, i got off the subject a bit... :)
Here what you may want to do.

Schedule time and let everyone know that mail server would be down for
maintanence on a weekend. Get yourself a good helped, not an observer, but
someone on your department who is good at helping with tech probblems.

The morning of the server being down, do a complette OFFLINE server back up to
a drive on network using NTBackup. That means Sopping all the Exchange services
and do offline backup. Backup all the working directories to different drive on
different server. That backup should be done quick! I usialy do 2 backups to 2
different drives, just incase.....

Make sure you have all the OS, drivers, sp's ready for the reload. MOST
important. document all the settings this Exchange uses, like directory
locations, Org name ( to the letter) and all the stractures. Take snapshots if
you need to. Call me paranoid, but i like to be prepared, because EWxchange 5.5
was a strange fruit!

One most important thing... create the account something like ExchAdmin and
make it memeber of Admin group(domain), then add that account as a part of
Org/ directory and config directories on Exchange. You have to do it in 3
places. YOU HAVE TO DO IT BEFORE YOU DO BACKUP!!!  This way Exch 55 will see it
after you do a restore. If you forget to do it, then you can add this later...

When you have everything documented, have all your backups done, and all the
CD's inplace youre good to go!

1. Reload the OS with same config as you had before, drive partitions. Install
all the sp's on it.
2. Load the exchange as new creating same Org name as the original ( that is
why i said to make notes of all the settings), it has to be the same to the
latter. Select the account you created early as the service account, it will be
granted all nesesary  premitions during the install and let it run.
3. Install Exch sp as you had before.
4.  After you install everything, just mapp the drive to that backup folder you
did the full backup of the offline server and do a restore of the directories
and running folder. When it is done, then you will have same serve rback with
all same configurations as before and PLUS new working service account!!!

Like i said, it looks like a scary deal reloading the server just to change the
service account, but it is not so bad. All of this only took me one day on
Satuday, i started at about 10 am and server was up and running, like nothing
happened, around 5-6 pm.

If you do deside to take the option 1 first, be sure you have planty of Asprin
in your droor! :)

Vadim.