RE: Certification Question

  • From: "Periyasamy, Raj" <Raj.Periyasamy@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "[ExchangeList]" <exchangelist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 8 Mar 2005 09:33:53 -0500

Andrew,
I am getting a fair idea of your setup. I assume you are a fairly small
shop. If I were you, I would definitely go with POP3 for external users.
If you go for RPC over HTTP, every client needs to have Office 2003 or
at least Outlook 2003. Are they willing to spend on that. If you use
POP3 they can use any email client like Outlook express. You don't have
to spend on certificates, and support. It is a real time killer. RPC
over HTTP is meant for corporate use, not for ISP use. Does your ISP
allow incoming POP3 and SMTP connections? All ISPs allow outgoing POP3
and SMTP connections, so the only problem is you have to make sure you
can receive incoming connections. If not, you can even run POP3 and SMTP
on a different port. Trust me on this one, it is less confusing to an
end user to configure POP3/SMTP rather than RPC over HTTP and
certificates.

Regards,

Raj