RE: Certification Question

  • From: Rick Boza <rickb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Exchange List <exchangelist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 07 Mar 2005 14:36:05 -0500

When you put it that way  (install it in the trusted store on the local
machine without user intervention) suddenly it sounds like a big security
issue.  This pretty much circumvents the whole trusted root CA thing that
people have worked so hard to establish, and why you get prompted to
install, doesn't it?

There's a reason a publicly trusted Cert costs so much - the 'trusting' part
and security derived therein.

The hoops folks have to jump through to make an internal CA trusted often
seems to cost more than just buying the cert - just goes to show that
'cheapest' is often not really 'least expensive.'

I've said before you can add your root CA as a trusted root using a GPO for
your client systems, but I suspect you mean your external (i.e.,
non-employee) clients - in which case 'forcing' a trusted root onto them is
probably an issue.