RE: Certification Question

  • From: "Mulnick, Al" <Al.Mulnick@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "[ExchangeList]" <exchangelist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 8 Mar 2005 09:14:07 -0500

I'm working on my English as a Second language class, so bear with me.  :)

I did say exactly what you mention, but apparently not in a coherent and
meaningful way to my target audience. Namely you.

That said, I did mention a way to have them install the cert into their
store via your web page and instructions process.  In other words, they can
visit the web page, download and INSTALL the certificate into the trusted
store and won't have a problem past that.

Keep in mind the only reason the trusted third party certificates work
without prompting is because they are already in the trusted store on the
local machine.  Microsoft put them there for your convenience. You also have
settings that cause the workstations to go looking for updates etc.  I
digress....

Because those certs are already in the trusted store, your user doesn't get
prompted for anything when using those certificates.  Very convenient.

You created your own CA.  You are your own third-party trusted CA and now
you want to put that certificate in the consumers trusted store.  The
problem is that they will have to be aware at some level that you're doing
that.

The link I sent you was one option.  Using Rick's suggestion or Tom's
suggestion is a good idea, but if you're bent on doing it this way, consider
making it a part of the sign-up and configuration process vs. something you
script. That way you don't have to worry about multiple versions of OS, you
don't have to worry about circumventing safety processes that are setup to
help the consumer trust Microsoft and you, and you don't have to write and
maintain code. All you have to do is explain to the consumer how to visit a
web page and how to install a certificate as part of your process.

Let me know Andrew if I need to translate this to some other language other
than English.  I'm sure I can find something to help connect the ideas.  :)