Re: Can I just move my current exchange server 5.5 application from NT4 server to Windows 2000 server without upgrading exchange server

  • From: Rick Boza <rickb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Exchange List <exchangelist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 25 Jan 2005 22:11:41 -0500

You aren¹t really talking about ?migrating¹ or ?moving¹ the application, you
can just upgrade the OS underneath Exchange.  You of course want to be sure
you have a good backup of everything prior to the upgrade.

See
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/exchange/2000/deploy/upgrademig
rate/upgd2000.mspx for info.

If you are talking about ?moving¹ your Exchange 5.5 server to a different
server  that¹s got Win2K on it, then you¹re in a bit of a different boat.
You would want to install 5.5 on the new server as a second server in your
site, use the move mailbox function to move to the new server, and then
retire the old server.  Be aware there are several steps you have to follow
to retire the first server in your site, see
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/152959 for details.