RE: Cached mode over WAN - how many users and what type of connection?

  • From: "Evan Mann" <emann@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "[ExchangeList]" <exchangelist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 26 Jan 2006 11:52:53 -0500

I probably have 500 or more users actively connected in cached mode
using Exchange over HTTP at any given time, if not more.

I have 10mbits of outbound bandwidth, but I've not done any reporting to
find out how much Exchange actually uses for OWA/Exchange over RPC.
Based on total traffic, I'd say I'm using a peak of around 1.0mbps for
the Exchange connections.  On a consistant basis, I think I'm under
1.0meg outbound for Exchange connections only.

Factors effecting that are number of users active, number of e-mails,
size of e-mails, if outlook is left open all the time (small bits of
bandwidth used to update cache) or only opened every X hours (large
chunks of bandwidth used to update cache).