Backup mail server (One domain, two mail servers)

  • From: "Umar" <umarpirzada@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: exchangelist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 8 Aug 2004 19:52:38 -0600

Hey there

I setup exchange to receive mail for 2 domains. Its working fine. As a
contingency plan i want to setup a scenario in which even if my mail
server aint available i shouldnt have LOST MAIL/ BOUNCED MAIL issues.
I studied a few possibilities including clustering but that aint
applicable to our scenario. The possibility applicable is the presence
of 2 mail servers on the same domain. If my primary mail server is not
available for some reason, my second machine takes over. I know thats
possible but HOW? Can someone guide me to the implementation. At the
moment, i have one machine servicing clients for 2 domains.

Using Exchange 2000 on Windows Adv Server...

Umar