RE: Backup MX records.

  • From: "Mulnick, Al" <Al.Mulnick@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "[ExchangeList]" <exchangelist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 26 May 2004 11:08:29 -0400

Generic SMTP problem.  4xy is a transient error (specifically, 421 is
transient indicating that the host might be shutting down and must end the
transmission).  It's not a hard error, so it's still a valid mail handler.
If you have done the resolution, then you must then use the host specified.
In this case, it's the lowest cost and you will therefore use that if it's
available.  If it's not available for some reason, (off network and not
answering at all) then you can use a higher cost MX record.

General rule: if it's on the network answering SMTP verbs, it needs to be
able to handle the traffic.  If it can't, it needs to be removed to correct
mail flow. From 974:
"For example, a response code of
   "non-existent domain" should probably cause the message to be
   returned to the sender as invalid, while a response code of "server
   failure" should probably cause the message to be retried later"

It's not a hard and fast rule, but if all hosts were to repeatedly try the
mailers for a transient error, there would be significantly more traffic on
the internet today.

Al

  _____