Re: Any pointers on DR setup in 2 different location?

  • From: Rick Boza <rickb@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Exchange List <exchangelist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 18 Nov 2004 09:22:45 -0500

You need to read through the Exchange DR whitepaper located at

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=A58F49C5-1190-4FBF-
AEDE-007A8F366B0E&displaylang=en

In short, yes you would see pain trying to restore your database from the
Atlanta server to your Washington server, assuming the Washington server is
actually a live server with user data.  And vice versa.

Database replication as you¹re describing is an inherently expensive
operation; the cost of bandwidth is usually the killer on such projects, as
you¹ve indicated.  A better approach might be to have two ³warm² servers
standing by to receive a restore in each location in the event of a
catastrophic event.

Rick