RE: Anti-virus on Exchange

  • From: Danny <nocmonkey@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "[ExchangeList]" <exchangelist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 15 Feb 2005 17:28:08 -0500

On Tue, 15 Feb 2005 15:42:34 -0600, Thomas W Shinder
<tshinder@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> http://www.MSExchange.org/
>
> Hi Danny,
>
> I prefer to use an ISA based hardware firewall, I think I get better
> protection and more secure remote access too! :)

I respect your preference, however, I find it difficult for ISA
running on a Windows server to provide better protection and more
secure remote access than my deployed Fortigate firewalls, which
provide some of the following at little or no impact to performance
(if you match your network needs to the right model):

-Anti-malware (virus, worms, etc.) protection (HTTP, POP3, SMTP, etc.)
-Grayware protection
-Signature and custom Intrusion Prevention and Protection
-Anti-spam - RBL, content, etc.
-Email content and attachment blocking/filtering
-ActiveX, java, cookie, protection
-Web URL and content filtering
-End-to-end VPN (IPSec, PPTP, L2TP, and multiple encryption level
options) solution
-Client VPN software which includes firewall and anti-virus component
-Traffic shaping
-Syslog output
-Protocol authentication
-VLAN support
-HTTPS and SSH admin access
-Support & Maintenance includes virus and attack definitions
-NAT or transparent mode
...etc.

The Fortigate 60 for example, is well under $600 USD including the
hardware and software; it's an appliance!

(We are providing personal recommendations, and so have I in this
case; I have no affiliation with Fortinet, in fact, a year ago I would
not have recommended them.)

...D