AD No way to backup alone

  • From: Saud <saud@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: exchangelist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 30 Jun 2002 22:31:18 +0300

I have concluded that AD cannot be backed up separately from the registry and other
items in the System State. At the beginning when I tried ntbackup and was forced
to backup System State where one item in it was Active Directory,there was no
way to check AD by itself !
I need AD alone to transfer it to another brand new server with different hardware.
So,I took the pain of downloading around 98 MB of Veritas backup Exec and tried it.
The result wasn't satisfactory for me as there was an option to backup System State
and looks identical to that in ntbackup. So ? I am gonna restore the mailboxes
from the .PST files I created by Exmerge after following the instructions from Matt and
the other fellas in this list.
As for AD I am gonna create the user accounts one by one in the new server having
to go through the consequences of angry calls and complaints of our cutomers.
At least their mail won't be lost !
Why does Microsoft make things impossible ?

Saud