[evtech] Re: EVTECH Old vs EVTECH New lists: We need to make a decision as a group.

  • From: John Scrivner <john@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: evtech@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 12 Apr 2010 12:13:37 -0500

On Mon, Apr 12, 2010 at 11:55 AM, Collin Kidder <collink@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On 4/12/2010 9:01 AM, John Scrivner wrote:
>
>> Could someone please send out the link and instructions for joining the
>> original Evtech list? It is never a good idea to allow one person to control
>> all the access to email lists for an entire industry. I have seen the end
>> result of this in another industry and it is really bad. Good people can
>> make bad choices so there needs to be more than one person at the controls
>> for your industry. I will be moving my list membership from this list to the
>> original Evtech list. I mean no disrespect to the administrator of this
>> list. I simply do not want to see one guy running it all.
>> John Scrivner
>>

> Hehehe... Are you trolling or just being obtuse? I honestly cannot tell.

I was just saying what I thought. I assure you I mean no harm and I am not
trolling.

> The original EVTech list is run by one person. This one person has not even
> proven themselves to be entirely reliable. If I had to choose between Mr
> Roden and Mr Pullen I would choose Mr Roden. At least I'm not aware of him
> disappearing for weeks at a time and taking every website he's responsible
> for with him.
>
> Granted, your original point still stands: At this point both EVTech lists
> are run by one person. Whichever list comes out on top it needs to have more
> than one admin.

What I was trying to say is that if there is only one person controlling all
the lists (which is the case for this new Evtech list and the EVDL list
unless I am mistaken) and that one person does not like someone or just
takes something wrong then they can end up booting people off the lists who
disagree with their point of view and that is wrong. If one guy runs one
list and another guy runs another list at least people have options of
moving from one list to the other to avoid one man controlling your
industry. I am sorry if I did not say that more eloquently in my last post.

The ideal scenario in my opinion is to have an actual industry association
where there are bylaws, directors, etc. controlling things. Then elections
determine who runs things and you can stop one guy from either dropping the
ball and not keeping the list running or stop him from snubbing one person
by removing them from lists. This is not an easy step though and is likely
something this industry is not quite ready to take yet. Industry
associations can have trade shows, set standards for the industry. etc. It
is a positive step but again it is not easy and I have my doubts this
industry is ready to take that step just yet.
John Scrivner