[evtech] Re: EVTECH Old vs EVTECH New lists: We need to make a decision as a group.

  • From: Martin K <martin.klingensmith@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: evtech@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 11 Apr 2010 09:37:23 -0400

On Sat, Apr 10, 2010 at 10:02 PM, eric@xxxxxxxxx <eric@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Okay everybody, we have a bit of a problem.
>
> As many of you are aware, the EVTECH list has been down for several
> days, and it appeared unlikely it would ever return under it's current
> administration.  Recently, there has been discussion on the EVDL list
> about creating a new EVTECH list on a different server.
>
> Well, we *do* have a new EVTECH list (evtech@xxxxxxxxxxxxx), but now
> the old list (evtech@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx) is back, and some people
> have expressed concern about "splitting" the list.   Personally, I'm
> for using the new list.  Here's how I break it down:
>
> "OLD" EVTECH List: Well established, but spotty uptime.  This last
> outage was long, and didn't seem to have an end in sight.
> "NEW" EVTECH List:  Already has new members that weren't on the old
> list, who had heard about it on the EVDL.  I'm told that freelists.org
> has good uptime.
>
> I think that splitting the list up is about the worst thing we can do.
>  I'd like to know what everyone thinks.  I'm don't have any control
> over either list in any way, but I do care about the future of EVTECH,
> and I think we should figure this out, and act together as a group.

There was (I thought) significant discussion on the EVDL while EVTECH was
still down, that we should move/start a new list at a new provider. David
Roden (EVDL admin) set up the freelists.org account for EV tech.
I don't care a lot whether it stays at evtech.org or freelists.org, but I do
think the list should be open and available, and if not, we should know why.
Sheer doesn't get thanked very well for hosting the list. I know it's not a
glamorous job, but; he should let us know if he's going to randomly pull the
plug for a week at a time. It is for that reason that I think the list
members should move on.
--
Martin K.