[evtech] Re: EVTECH Old vs EVTECH New lists: We need to make a decision as a group.

  • From: Dan Frederiksen <dan.frederiksen@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: evtech@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 12 Apr 2010 21:05:51 +0200

are you going to post to both lists every time you post something then? or should all subscribers new and old then just subscribe to both lists?

it's an amazingly bad idea Jeff.
the new list was made because it looks like the old would never return. but it did. there is no indication that the instability will remain so the new list has absolutely non justification for existing.
should down time persist then maybe.
even if David Roden wasn't at the helm of the new list it would have no merit.

enough wasting time with this nonsense. I'll unsubscribe the new list

On 12-04-2010 20:13, Jeff Shanab wrote:
Right now I recieve messages from both lists in the same inbox. The
client filters on "[EVTECH]" in the title
I have to look to see which ones it came form.

Like I said before, leave them both up. Listen to both and send to
whatever one is up.
A poor mans replication. As far as I know there is no archive so syncing
them is completely un-necessary :-)

Right now if everyone sends to the old list, that is all we will get.
If it goes down, we send to the other list and viola, we all suddenly
get messages from that one.
We just tested this for a week ;-)

eric@xxxxxxxxx wrote:
Roger,

The existence of the list was the very problem that precipitated the
creation of the new list. It's easy to say in hindsight "the list is
here [now], and we don't have a reason to abandon it."  There was a
*very* good reason to abandon it: It was gone, and there wasn't any
indication it would ever return.  There's been a loss in confidence
about the reliability of the EVTECH list as it is.  It goes down for
days at a time; this last outage was a rather long one.  In the past,
a simple note to sheer cleared it up, but this time he dropped off the
face of the planet.  This isn't an indictment of sheer: Shit Happens;
we can all understand that.  Problem is there isn't a "Plan B."

I think the concern over the stability of the list is valid; perhaps
if there were redundant servers and (especially) administrators these
concerns might be satisfied.

On Mon, Apr 12, 2010 at 10:23 AM, Roger Stockton<rstockton@xxxxxxxxxxx>  wrote:

I can only speak for myself, but I've been on EVTECH since Sheer created it,
and as long as the EVTECH list exists, this is where I'll be staying.

Archive at //www.freelists.org/archive/evtech/