[evac-board] Re: Mailing Lists - Consensus

  • From: Kenneth Sumiec <kensumiec@xxxxxxx>
  • To: evac-board@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 12 Jul 2015 18:32:09 -0700

Agree with your plan as stated for items 1, 3, 4 and 5. Detailed instructions
as necessary to sign up at AZ Observing free list and the EVAC Announce list
should be prominently located on our web page so people may easily sign up.

Do we need a mail list for Public Star Parties? Lynn having an email list of
participants may be all that is needed, although we should do whatever is easy
for Lynn.

Ken Sumiec

On Jul 12, 2015, at 3:01 PM, Claude Haynes <azstargeazer@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

I think we need to present a plan for the mail services at the next meeting.
I propose:

1) Activate the EVAC - Announce mail group. This will provide a method for
people to sign up and hear about club information. The messages would be
generated by a few people, and include announcements for meetings, public
star parties and events.

2) Create a new mail list called EVAC - Public Star Parties - this will
enable Lynn to have a method to communicate with people who have indicated
they will bring telescopes to EVAC events. This will especially be useful to
let people know if a party is cancelled or changes at the last minute.

3) Encourage EVAC members who want information about who is going out for
observing to use the AZ Observing free list. This list doesn't have all that
much traffic, but does provide a method for active observers to communicate
with each other.

4) Delay creating an EVAC Forum mailing list until we have enough information
that it will be supported and used. Based upon the limited survey results
from last month almost everyone indicated they wanted to hear from EVAC, but
I think there were only a few users who indicated they wanted to post general
information. We will provide information on who is able to post to EVAC
Announce, and they can receive emails from users for the occasional equipment
sale, photo posting or non-EVAC event.

5) Defer discussion about a Facebook page until we have a better
understanding of the management and use of social media.

I would like some replies to confirm that this is a path that has consensus.
I am leaning toward the Announce Only setting for our list based upon the few
bad postings that we had on the previous list. The major drawback of an
announce only list is that it limits people who want to share links to their
photos. We have most of those people linked on the member page of the
website. I think we just need to offer some clear advice on how to use the
website and internet tools.

Thanks - please reply with comments or give me a call
Claude
480-221-5792

--
Claude Haynes