[evac-board] Mailing Lists - Consensus

  • From: Claude Haynes <azstargeazer@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: evac-board@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, Dan Hahne <dan.hahne@xxxxxxxxx>, John Goerger <pos1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, jan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 12 Jul 2015 15:01:37 -0700

I think we need to present a plan for the mail services at the next
meeting. I propose:

1) Activate the EVAC - Announce mail group. This will provide a method for
people to sign up and hear about club information. The messages would be
generated by a few people, and include announcements for meetings, public
star parties and events.

2) Create a new mail list called EVAC - Public Star Parties - this will
enable Lynn to have a method to communicate with people who have indicated
they will bring telescopes to EVAC events. This will especially be useful
to let people know if a party is cancelled or changes at the last minute.

3) Encourage EVAC members who want information about who is going out for
observing to use the AZ Observing free list. This list doesn't have all
that much traffic, but does provide a method for active observers to
communicate with each other.

4) Delay creating an EVAC Forum mailing list until we have enough
information that it will be supported and used. Based upon the limited
survey results from last month almost everyone indicated they wanted to
hear from EVAC, but I think there were only a few users who indicated they
wanted to post general information. We will provide information on who is
able to post to EVAC Announce, and they can receive emails from users for
the occasional equipment sale, photo posting or non-EVAC event.

5) Defer discussion about a Facebook page until we have a better
understanding of the management and use of social media.

I would like some replies to confirm that this is a path that has
consensus. I am leaning toward the Announce Only setting for our list
based upon the few bad postings that we had on the previous list. The
major drawback of an announce only list is that it limits people who want
to share links to their photos. We have most of those people linked on the
member page of the website. I think we just need to offer some clear
advice on how to use the website and internet tools.

Thanks - please reply with comments or give me a call
Claude
480-221-5792

--
Claude Haynes