[euralex] bilingual dictionaries for learners of English?

  • From: "Robert Lew" <rlew@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: euralex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, asialex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 01 Feb 2014 12:40:34 +0100

Dear Colleagues,

I'd like to ask your help in locating bilingual dictionaries (print or digital)
designed to assist learners of English in your country. I am particularly
interested in
learning about dictionaries that can reasonably support learners in writing by
providing sense discrimination in the learners' native language of the learner
(L1),
access to English multi-word expressions from L1 entries, guidance on English
collocation, and ideally examples in English or parallell/translated examples
in the L1-
English section.

Here's an example entry from one such dictionary for Polish learners of English:
http://wa.amu.edu.pl/~rlew/dl/LSW_ladunek.png
- but, of course, it doesn't have to be exactly like this.

What I DON'T mean here is semibilingual adaptations in which you have to use
the
English->L1 section and there isn't a complete L1->English section but rather a
simple

If you know of such a bilingual learners' dictionary for speakers of your (or
another)
language, please email me back (rather than the List) with details sufficient
for
identification (title, link to publisher's or bookseller's page, a sample if
you have
it, etc.).
I will share the findings with anyone interested.

Your help is greatly appreciated!

Robert

--
Robert Lew
Professor of English Language, Linguistics and

rlew@xxxxxxxxxx
http://wa.amu.edu.pl/wa/Lew_Robert

list.