[euralex] Re: [asialex] Re: Re: [DSNA] RE: End of print dictionaries at Macmillan

  • From: "Gilles-Maurice de Schryver" <gillesmaurice.deschryver@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: '阿蘭' <volker@xxxxxxxxx>, <Lexicophile@xxxxxxx>, <euralex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <DSNA@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <lexicographylist@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <asialex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <afrilex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <lexicografie@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <ishll@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 8 Nov 2012 20:23:18 +0100

Dear Craig Volker,

Thanks for your view, all the way from New Ireland, PNG. Your message was
addressed to me, with everyone else in CC. I have been not in two but in
multiple minds for the past two days as to how to reply. First, let's cut the
crap. This is a lexicography list, so let's keep lexicography in focus, rather
than attempt to change the way world economics work. Second, of course we try
to link the results of our work back to the communities we work with, and in
the format that is best for that community. My last work, a school dictionary
for Zulu, was printed and distributed on paper (more here
<http://www.oxford.co.za/page/about-us/newsroom/1414214-Oxford-wins-translator-s-prize-for-second-time-for-isiZulu-dictionary>
 ). Does that stop us from dreaming up truly new ways to rerepresent the data,
and more, in e-form? Of course not, and we are planning for that as we speak.
Third, just two months ago I was still doing fieldwork in the Congo, where we
basically documented six languages for the first time, and discovered four new
languages, unknown to science until then (more here
<http://kongoking.org/fieldwork-linguistics-2012.html> ). As a Belgian, do I
feel any guilt that our grandparents didn't do more for these languages at the
time -- ten out of several hundred languages? Not at all. As a scholar, do I
want to put those people on the map and do I want to design innovative ways for
them to also actually use the data we started to collect, and are busy
analysing? Sure! The products we'll bring back to the Congo will very likely be
handheld devices, solar-powered and in a first phase stand-alone. (So forget
about electricity and the Internet for a while, though it is coming.) Given the
users don't read nor write, they will not be "looking-up" but rather "speaking
into" their devices, with the answers being "spoken back" to them. That's the
breaking news I was talking about: We can stop thinking two-dimensional, on
paper, and dream up a dictionary experience that starts from the electronic
platform. That process has hardly begun, and we've already lost a decade.

Kind regards,

Gilles-Maurice, Old Ghent, Belgium.

From: euralex-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx <mailto:euralex-bounce%40freelists.org>