[euralex] New EURALEX Website

  • From: Geoffrey Williams <geoffrey.williams@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: euralex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 13 Apr 2011 23:39:28 +0200

Dear EURALEX Members and other subscribers,

It is with great pleasure that I announce the birth of the new EURALEX website, now to be found at http://www.euralex.org/.

The world evolves constantly, and we as a lexicographical community must evolve with that world, harnessing what is best in current technology. Hence this new website with all the technological advantages that this brings.

What makes EURALEX special is that we are a community, a real scholarly and professional community that seeks to advance lexicography as a means to share human values through a shared understanding of language. We are scholars and professional lexicographers, and also those simply interested by the wonderful cultural and communicative tools that are dictionaries. We share values and we give our time because we care.

As a tool for international exchange of communication in a knowledge society, dictionaries are a primary source of information, so familiar that many fail to recognise the wealth of  knowledge that they hold. A website is a means of sharing and promoting all that is good in our community. It is also the product of a few dedicated workers who give their time in making and maintaining the tool.

For many years, the EURALEX website was maintained at Stuttgart, in more recent years Pavel Smrz has maintained both the site and the mailing list. With changes in technology, the time has come to revamp the site. This has been done by a small group of current and past board members working with a dedicated professional designer. The management by Simon Krek, which has included the inevitably administrative problems involved in a change of site and provider, means that we are now able to offer a new site, a new mailing list, and free access to past proceedings. The latter is an ongoing project that will make this prilary knowledge sourceThe team has done a woinderful job in bringing this site to tuition, something for which g the members and users owe their gratitude.

This is site is not static, but had been designed to meet the needs of the lexicographical community, whether EURALEX members or not. In joining EURALEX, you join a community dedicated to advancing a discipline and craft that is viral in a knowledge society, but is far too often taken for granted. In joining EURALEX, you join a community that will carry lexicography and dictionaries forward, whilst sharing and acknowledging the history of the discipline. In knowing where we come from, we can better see where we are going.

there has never been a better time to join EURALEX, the site is new and dynamic. Join us now and help us drive that dynamism forward.

Best regards

Geoffrey Williams
President of EURALEX