[euralex] Re: AW: Re: [DSNA] RE: End of print dictionaries at Macmillan

  • From: Stephen Bullon <stephen.bullon@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: euralex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 6 Nov 2012 10:20:29 +0000

I think Simon makes a good point. If there'd never been paper dictionaries
before, we certainly wouldn't invent them now, with all the conventions
that the constraints of paper impose on them. Anyone remember the early
grammar patterns in the Oxford Advanced Learners Dictionary, or LDOCE1?
VP18A was just one of a whole gang of largely unmemorisable codes (which
have admittedly evolved since the first editions, but which don't need to
be codified at all in a digital version). The potential for digital
dictionaries is only just now being tapped, and there's a lot more to come.
Like Geoffrey, I like books, and I'll keep my paper dictionaries, but I
don't look in them anywhere near as often as I used to. And like Simon,
I'll enjoy the much greater functionality available from digital resources.

Stephen Bullon

PS - I ought to declare an interest, as Publisher for Macmillan Dictionaries