[etni] the continuing saga of "can not"

  • From: David Reid <reidnomad@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Rivka Lewenstein <rlewen@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 27 Nov 2010 20:15:09 +0200

Re:
> Sorry, David, but your first example (I can not post this if I so choose)
> sounds absolutely wrong to me. I would never use "can not" in that way. I
> would say, "I don't have to post this if I so choose." Anyone else care to
> chime in on that?
>
> All the best,
> Rivka

Hi, Rivka and other readers,

Three quick points concerning your reply. But first, I apologize in advance
for capitalized words. They're supposed to be italicized words, not
shouting. This forum seems to eliminate most formatting, leaving few other
options for italics. (Suggestions, anyone?)

(1) What Rivka is saying is that one CAN avoid the use of "can" altogether
by rephrasing the sentence. Granted. However, it is another matter
altogether whether one MUST rephrase it. If not, then we revert to the
original question concerning the cases when one DOES use "can" and a
negative.

(2) It might help to give a broader context to the situation. Something
like:
"Harry, what are you doing with that paper?"
"Well, I can post it if I want. However, there's another choice. I can NOT
post it. It's my choice." (with a slight emphasis on "not".) (Parallelism
would suggest using "can not" rather than "don't have to.")

(3) Yes, I can imagine that a person may have his/her personal style, and
would not use "can not" in this way. However, I have heard literate native
English speakers use it in this way. It is thus a matter more of personal
style  than of grammar.

David Reid