[etni] Re: schedule problems etni Digest V6 #186

  • From: Batya <shilohmuse@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: etni@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 16 Jul 2008 09:51:51 -0700 (PDT)

re: From: Daniel - ydaleph@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: is this common practice

I informed my school last that for the 2007-2008 and 2008-2009 I am unable
to work on Thursdays because I am taking a tour guide course and that is the
day we have our field trips.  They were informed of this again this year.
Instead of respecting this they cut sheduled two hours on Thursday for my
grade 10 and informed because I cannot work that day my English speakers
will only have two hours of English. The principal told me he could not
accomodate me because the other two teachers cannot work any other day.  Is
this common practice or just a complete lack of respect for a senior teacher
of 10 years on the staff who made a special request? I welcome any opinions.
I simply did not how to respond to this warped logic.
It seems to me that this is one more example of how well we are treated in
this country.

Dan Ashkenazy

---

Well, I had a similar problem last year.  Although, I had also been teaching 10
years and had the most difficult traveling, including/requiring tremping and
standing in the sun and rain, I was given 4 days for a part time job, even
though I was only scheduled to see 3 out of 4 classes twice a week and
one three times a week.  The stress and time-waste began affecting my health.
I dropped the 9th grade, since the school refused to schedule more efficiently.

And now, it's one of the reasons I took their offer to leave teaching.  YES,
you read it correctly.  I'm out of the classroom, burnt out, tremped out,
whatever.  No, I don't have "plans."  Maybe tutor, write?

Batya
Shiloh Musingsme-ander The Eye of the Storm the muse's pics Blog Free!