[etni] Re: public vs. private schools

  • From: judy <judyewc@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: etni@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 12 Jul 2008 09:59:10 +0300

I think that there are two issues regarding private schools which keep them
few and far between.  The first is the Ministry of Education's determination
to withhold recognition from them.  As a co-founder of a democratic school,
I know that the way to recognition is long and exhausting.  Even when a
school fulfills all the Ministry's academic requirements, it's a given that
recognition is denied several times , appeals are submitted, etc. etc. till
one of the sides blinks first.  Without Ministry recognition, the school is
poor and relies heavily on tuition.  This teachers are often paid less,
equipment is secondhand, and administration is a nightmare.

The second problem is the monetary concern.  Either, as I have said, the
school is poor and needs more and more money from the parents, or, if it has
gained prestige, it charges more in order to pay its teachers better.  Some
schools have scholarship funds, but in many cases, no matter how much they
would like, the family can't fund the child's education there.  Here, again,
in many cases Ministry recognition would alleviate the problem.

Why is the Ministry so loathe to recognize private schools?  The official
reason is ideological - private schools give the appearance of inequality
and elitism, and detract funds from the public system.  This is actually not
true - in most western countries, the presence and activity of private
schools usually generates improvement in the public system as well.  They
are often the source of amazing projects that make their way into the public
system.  But don't ever try confusing the Ministry with facts.  The real
reason, I believe, is that once parents - not a fortunate few, but a
critical mass - realize that smaller classes, interesting learning
experiences, letting kids choose some of their studies, flexibility, giving
kids a voice in how the school runs, individual mentoring, etc. are not
irrational, impossible, or impractical, there will be a demand for a real
shake-up in the system.  "Reform" in this country means adding on or taking
off a few hours or shekels.  Private schools rock the boat.

Judy
--
"Music will save the world." Pablo Casals