[etni] projects and LD pupils

  • From: "Lauren Ornstein" <laurie@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <etni@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 9 Oct 2003 07:56:37 +0200

     Is it possible,  within the ministry rules and guidelines , for a 5 point
pupil to do her entire project on film? The student in question is a native
speaker with multiple learning disabilities. She cannot read or write on her
own.  We are about to embark on our "magazine projects" and she questioned
whether or not she could make a documentary movie instead. It's clear to her
and me that she will have a bibliography based on different sources. I might
add that my pupils are doing individual and not group projects.      As we have
been discussing here the issue of teaching LD students, I'd like to add a few
more words. The above mentioned  pupil is already in a dither about this as she
recalls the great difficulites she encountered last year doing her UNICEF
project. That was done partly after school hours with her private teacher here
at Sde Boker and mostly with her Mom on weekends home. For all I tried, when we
worked in class, she just couldn't do anything on her own and I was limited at
the most to a few minutes when I could sit with her and help her as the others
also demanded attention. I foresee a similar situation occuring now. As  so
many kids with learning disabilities, she has a hard time concentrating and
focusing on what she's doing. Medication helps in part.  Lastly, we do NOT have
any special technological options to help her with her reading...no budget nor
computer in the classroom!
Laurie

the system manager  arkadi@xxxxxxxxxxxx  or  david@xxxxxxxxxxxx
             Midreshet Sde-Boker    www.boker.org.il