[etni] picture puzzle pieces

  • From: laurie@xxxxxxxx
  • To: etni@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 8 Apr 2005 03:46:00 -0700

 I'm a wee overwhelmed by the plethora of messages the past few days and
havebeen preoccupied by many of them. The cheating incident on projects,
surrounding the oral exam, really lights my fuses. I certainly hope the
tester brought this to the attention of the school and local inspector.
Having done a project is a requirement for the oral exam and if the kids
didn't do them, they cannot be tested on that part of the test, meaning they
lose 60% of the grade at the onset. And they should get zeroes for the
project work itself. I'm sorry, but I see no other way to look at it.
Cheating is a very serious matter and should be dealt with appropriately.
And....yes, we are all over-worked and taken advantage of and breaking under
the yoke of all the extra work we've been given. I do not see a way out as
things stand. Extremely frustrating, to say the least. Lastly, for now, I'll
agree with all those having difficulties calculating the  school grade and
getting it to match some kind of grade the kids may or may not get on the
actual exam. I raised the issue at the meeting Nina and I attended in Tel
Aviv at the Min. of Ed. but got no helpful response. Along the same lines. I
made it clear that I was very frustrated at finding myself "teaching Bagrut"
rather than English...and especially with my Native Speaker classes; that's
totally absurd. Every exam we've seen since the major change has been
unpredictable and on a different level . I'm not always able to figure out
the "expected" answer and require an answer sheet.   My principal as well as
others still doesn't understand that there may not be any correlation
betweenthe test grade and yearly grade and that is no fault of the teacher.
As my Dad always says..."Go fight City Hall!". On that sad note, Shabbat
Shalom from the Dust Bowl of the nation. (seriously!) Laurie Ornstein