[etni] "pass your papers forward" and more...

  • From: sara g <saragabai@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: ETNI list <etni@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 10 Oct 2009 18:52:43 +0200

All the mails about what people learned in "the old country" reminded
me of two things.

in my school (in the states) you couldn't graduate 6th grade without
writing 5 book reports. i loved reading and read all the time, and Mr.
Kennedy  (no relation...) knew it. but being (undiagnosed) dysgraphic,
i never write book reports. so in the last two weeks of school (before
my family moved to israel) i wrote 5 book reports of about 3 sentences
each, just to make sure i would graduate.

for years i have been trying to get my students to "pass their papers
forward" when they had to hand in homework or a quiz, instead of
having 38 kids get up and each one handing me their paper. but this
seems to go against some inborn trait of theirs, and they never
understood what i was talking about, even though we talked about it,
practiced etc.  this year, my accelerated 10th grade has about 12 kids
in it who went to school for some years in an english-speaking
country. they know how to do it. and the others are starting to go
along with them. so it might just succeed.
--
sara g in israel
sarag@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx