[etni] (no subject)

  • From: Andie & Yehuda Gal <jonniegl@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: etni@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 02 Feb 2004 06:07:11 +0200

This issue of "Street English" VS "correct English" has produced a lively
discussion on the site. I often discuss this issue in class citeing the
participants on Ricki Lake as wonderful examples of uneducated people using
very poor Street English.
When teaching adjectives, I have a hard time writing on the board:  My brother
is taller than me. Instead, I often write: My brother is taller than I am. Can
I write the former?
I wonder how confusing this must be to our students when we ourselves are so
confused.
What about: This is very fun. It really bothers me when my students use that
phrase, but my educated American niece and nephews do. Is it considered correct?