[etni] Re: lost in translation

  • From: David Graniewitz <graniewitz@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: caddy_1998@xxxxxxxxx, etni@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 23 Jun 2008 09:01:12 +0300 (IDT)

Here's one that I caught on telly only yesterday. I was
watching the excellent BBC series "Days that changed
History." This particular programme dealt with the
Hindenberg airship disaster of 1937. The Zeppellin was
described as being as large as "4 football pitches". The
translation of this that appeared in the subtitles was "arba
zerikot cadooregel." The mind boggles. What morons are
getting paid to translate programmes into Hebrew?

If you're talking about Hebrew to English, the list is
endless. A few examples I've had are
a) This book is a voltage story (sippur metach)
b) He uterus the little boy (Hu richem ....)
c)[On the front page of a project handed in to me]
Waiter: Yossi Cohen (the pupil meant "magish")

GIVE ME STRENGTH!!!!

Hope this helps
David