[etni] Re: etni Digest V6 #179

  • From: "massad" <debitor@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <etni@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 6 Jul 2008 15:08:25 +0300 (Jerusalem Daylight Time)

Flats in Beersheva
 Ben  Summer or anyone out there, my daughter  aged 23 is moving to
Beersheva and looking for a patio or garden flat with her boyfriend. She
will be studying at Reidman College in the old part of the city. I used to
live in Tet area but don't know what its like now or Shukun hey  - can
anyone tell us where best to look aprt from Ramot or Omer which are further
away
 Debbie Gabai

From: "Ask_Etni" <ask@xxxxxxxx>
Subject: [etni] Fw: re: English teachers' issues-the document
Date: Sat, 5 Jul 2008 10:08:36 +0200

Date: Sat, 5 Jul 2008 09:54:37 +0300
From: "laurie ornstein" <laurenmadeline@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [etni] 4 or 5 points - more

Hi All,
  Let me add to this discussion. It's not only passing the written exam but
the literary requirements and project level are different for 5 points. Can
these borderline pupils complete these curriculum requirements, too? All too
many times these are "neglected" as we sadly know. The kids and parents must
know about these considerations as well.

  We always try to push kids up and encourage them to do their best. But not
all good 4 pointers are capable of doing 5 points.

Laurie

------------------------------

From: "Ask_Etni" <ask@xxxxxxxx>
Subject: [etni] Fw: bagrut "strike"
Date: Sat, 5 Jul 2008 11:39:22 +0200

From: "Ask_Etni" <ask@xxxxxxxx>
Subject: [etni] Fw: J.Post reaction to Wednesday's article on Bagrut markers
st
Date: Sat, 5 Jul 2008 20:05:04 +0200

Date: Sat, 05 Jul 2008 19:47:17 +0200
From: borisf <borisf@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [etni] Summer Bafrut 2008 - Moed A - Answer Key needed

Dear Etniers,
Could you, please, help me get the answer key of the Summer Bagrut -
Moed A -  all the modules? I haven't found it on the ETNI site.
Thanks a lot in advance.
Shavua tov!
Svetlana

--------------------------------------
Boris Fogelson, CEC
Certified E-Commerce Consultant
  <http://www.best-manual.com/> www.uvme-yes.narod.ru
Skype: boris_fogelson
  <mailto:borisf@xxxxxxxxxx> mailto:borisf@xxxxxxxxxx
Tel: 972-544-715-428

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 5 Jul 2008 20:32:03 +0300
From: "aviva shapiro" <shapiroaviva@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [etni] bagrut

Dear fellow teachers,
I think that Judy put it succinctly when she said that it's not actually a
strike in that there is no signed contract  It is just that finally the
English teachers are saying ,NO  ,we won't work under such conditions. Kol
HaKavod !!!  I am one of those who walked away this year and decided
before all this began  that I couldn't function under such  conditions .  .
( traveling twice a week to Kiryat Ono from the far North).  I hope that the
Ministry will  decide what is best for the students.  I hope things work out
,as just like the rest of us I too want our  pupils to have their exams
marked *but *I  agree that as the system is being run now nobody is getting
a fair deal.

Good luck and let's hope for a change for the  better for both
teachers(markers)  and students alike.
Aviva

Try and Fail BUT Never Fail to try !!!

------------------------------

From: "Ask_Etni" <ask@xxxxxxxx>
Subject: [etni] Fw: re: J.Post reaction to Wednesday's article on Bagrut
marker
Date: Sat, 5 Jul 2008 21:29:31 +0200

I am proud to inform you all that this was sent in from my mother! However,
they left out the last line: "Wake up before it's too late!"  She is both
shocked and sickened by the teachers' conditions, especially the English
teachers'...
Linda Kuras Mizrahi

From: "Ask_Etni" <ask@xxxxxxxx>
Subject: [etni] Fw: action for bagrut markers
Date: Sat, 5 Jul 2008 22:20:20 +0200

Nature----- Original Message -----
From: Sharon Tzur - sharontzu5@xxxxxxx
Subject: action for bagrut markers

Dear English Teachers and Bagrut Markers:

I have a suggestion. This week is Moed Bet. I suggest that we prepare a
letter to parents that we can distribute to all the students who come in for
Moed Bet. The letter, in Hebrew, would inform the parents that the Bagrut
checking in English has not begun and will not begin until the Michsot are
reduced. We can include the fact that the Vaad Horim Artzi supports us (I
think I read a letter from them on the bagrut marker's site). Parents are
shocked when they hear that we check a minimum of 72 exams a day! The letter
can give the fax of the man alit (Shulamit Amichai, I think) we were told to
write letters to with a suggestion that they also send off faxes.

I also thought that the Ministry could declare that the year grades will be
test grades - however, I think that will create a great outcry, as many
students (probably 1/4 - 1/3) do better on the exam than they do on their
yearly grade - not to mention the students who have no yearly grade
(externi - mishne) and the fact that there has never been a precedent for
throwing out an exam that students already sat for! (During the "lottery"
period, when the yearly grade was counted, the decision was made before the
kids were to sit for the exam.)
Yours,

Sharon Tzur

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 05 Jul 2008 22:15:38 +0300
From: Yehudit <elgavi@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [etni] bagrut marking

Just to add my wholehearted support for our stand vis-a vis the
Ministry. We must NOT be persuaded by futile promises of "looking into
the problem"  ( or something to that effect) by ministry officials. It's
typical of the reluctance of those in authority to try to get to the
root of the problem - they prefer to find some "ad hoc" solution without
any vision for the future.
As others have stated, we are not on strike, so they cannot take any
legal steps like the labour court in the teachers' strike.
Wishing you all Shavua Tov and Hodesh Tov!
Yehudit

------------------------------

From: "Ruth" <drorydr1@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [etni] Bagrut markers
Date: Sat, 5 Jul 2008 21:21:00 +0200

Judy is quite right; you are not striking, you are refusing to undertake a
job under these conditions. I certainly hope that you will not give in until
these conditions improve, and I don't mean some vague promise from the
ministry to "look into the grievances". Don't demonstrate or burn tyres,
just refuse to sign the contract.
I used to mark Bagrut, and it was considerd well-paid, even though I
sometimes paid 50% income tax.

I know from a friend who worked as a proctor, that she was paid 20 shekels
per hour. I have heard that the Ministry pays the "koach adam" companies 50
shekels per hour. It seems to me that these companies are raking in huge
profits from the tax-payers' money.

Good luck to you, and enjoy your well-deserved holiday!
Ruth Drory

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 06 Jul 2008 00:09:06 +0300
From: Brenda <brbitan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [etni] moed B

Hi
Does anyone know when the oral accomodations for the Moed B are going to be
posted? The exam is in only a couple of days and I don't know what is
supposed to be taken off the exams for those students being tested orally.
Thanks.

Brenda

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 5 Jul 2008 14:22:40 -0700 (PDT)
From: Sandra Yosef-Hassidim <hassidim@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [etni] we will have to wage our own battles, I'm afraid

I am not sure if sending a letter to the parents is a good idea. After the
last strike I feel we shouldn't put our hopes on the parents. The press
release by Anat Kanfo is a nice show of support but she does not really
represent the parents. I also remember her being very supportive during the
last strike but her actions had no effect on the parents. They aren't united
 We are alone in our struggles. Luckily, this time the work left undone will
definitetely be felt by the people involved and it will have an impact on
the whole system. At the same time the state can't issue court orders to
force us to start marking because we don't officially work for them-yet; we
haven't signed our contracts. So "playing it cool" like we have done up to
now-is a very smart strategy in our case. After all, we are in no hurry.
Would they consider cancelling the tests and taking the year grade as the
final bagrut grade(highly unlikely)-fine with me. They will still
  have to face the problem some time-if not this moed, then the next moedim.
  Sandra

From: "Ask_Etni" <ask@xxxxxxxx>
Subject: [etni] Fw: Barry Speaks at the 'Tidruch' for Bagrut Examiners
Date: Sun, 6 Jul 2008 06:48:38 +0200